Staying
safe

We use gas and electricity every day, so it’s easy to take them for granted – but it’s important to remember some safety guidelines to ensure you and your work colleagues stay safe. First up, always call an expert to check and repair faulty appliances - and always read safety labels on new appliances. It’s also a good idea to learn what to do in electrical emergency or gas emergency so you’re well prepared to take the right action.

General Safety

These are simple suggestions – but they save lives.

  • Protect your hands by wearing appropriate safety gloves. Always inspect gloves for wear and tear and other damage before using them

  • Read and follow all equipment operating instructions for proper use

  • Turn off the equipment when you've finished the job

  • Always clean up spills on floors

  • Keep work areas clean and dry. Cluttered work areas and benches can cause accidents and injuries

  • Make sure everyone knows what to do in an emergency

  • Leave equipment repairs and adjustments to a professional




Staying safe with gas

Natural gas is colourless, odourless and non-toxic. However, it is highly flammable. A chemical that smells like rotten eggs is added to the gas to make sure even the smallest gas leak can be detected immediately.


What to do if you smell gas

Gas leaks are dangerous if they're not investigated immediately.

  • If you smell gas around an appliance, turn it off and call a Registered Craftsman Gasfitter straight away. (See the Yellow Pages under ‘gasfitters’).

  • If the smell is strong, vacate the building immediately. Call our Customer Service Team on 0800 80 9000 from a telephone safely away from your building.


If you can still smell gas a few minutes after turning off the appliance

  • Don’t use a telephone (including mobile phones) near any suspected gas leak

  • Don’t try and track the gas leak yourself

  • Don’t use matches or lighters in the area

  • Don't switch any lights or electrical appliances on or off as this could ignite the gas and cause an explosion

  • Do turn off the gas supply at the cylinder or gas meter

  • Do open doors and windows to ventilate the area

  • Do move your employees away from the suspected leak immediately

  • Do go to a phone safely away from your business and call our Customer Service Team on 0800 20 9000 immediately


Pilot lights

A faint odour of natural gas indoors may mean a pilot light has blown out on a gas appliance. You should:

  • Check your appliance manual to find out how to relight the pilot light

  • If you're not sure what to do, contact your local Registered Craftsman Gasfitter (look under ‘gasfitters’ in the Yellow Pages).


LPG Storage compliance

If you have over 100kg of LPG storage capacity on site we’ll need a copy of your Location Test Certificate to supply you with LPG, or written confirmation your site doesn’t need one.  Every time you renew your LTC, you’ll also need to send us a copy please.

Here’s how:

Fax: 03 373 6401, Attention: HSNO Certificate Management
Email: Scan your Location Test Certificate and email to LTC@contactenergy.co.nz
Post: HSNO Certificate Management, Contact Energy, P O Box 7195, Sydenham, Christchurch 8240
For information about the composition of LPG, keep a copy of the 'Safety Data Sheet' at your LPG location.


If you have any questions about your Contact Rockgas LPG supply or service please email us at LTC@contactenergy.co.nz or you call us on 0800 762 542.




Staying safe with electricity

We couldn’t do without it, but all energy deserves respect, so please share these important electricity safety tips with everyone at work.

Check work areas every day for electrical hazards like:

  • Flickering lights

  • Warm switches or receptacles

  • Burning odours

  • Loose connections

  • Frayed, cracked, or broken wires

Never ignore an electrical problem - it could cause an accident or cost you money.


Electrical Accidents – what to do

  • Call for help immediately- get someone to bring the first aid supplies (these should be easily accessible)

  • Switch off the source of electricity, or if you can't, move the source away from you and the injured person using a non-conducting object like a wooden broom handle, plastic rope or leather belt. Then dial 111 for an ambulance

  • Never grab the person or pull the person off the current with your hands - you might become part of the circuit and be injured as well

  • Make sure you and the victim are in a safe place, away from any electrical source and downed or broken wires

  • If you know how, administer mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and/or CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).

  • Keep the victim lying down, warm and comfortable to maintain body heat until help arrives. Don't move the person in case of injury to the neck or back

  • If the victim is unconscious, put them on their side to let fluids drain

  • Make sure the victim gets urgent professional medical attention (a person who has suffered an electrical shock could have heart failure hours later)


Keep an eye on tools and appliances

  • Choose proper cords and connectors for the job

  • Make sure any portable cord you use is suitable for the equipment - gauge size, flexibility/strength and ability to withstand any chemicals that may be present

  • Make sure the extension cord is at least as thick as the tool's electrical cord

  • Don't raise, lower or carry electrical equipment by the cord

  • All electrical equipment should be checked before use and if there's a fault, it shouldn't be used until repaired

  • Keep electrical office equipment dry and never turn on any electronic equipment when it's wet

  • Don't store flammable liquids near electrical equipment, even temporarily

  • Never drape electrical cords over heat sources


When electrical work is being done

When repairs or electrical work are being done you should provide:

  • Personal protective equipment (e.g. non-conductive head protection, insulating gloves, eye and face protection) to guard against electrical hazards

  • Insulated tools and handling equipment (e.g. protective shields, barriers, or insulating materials) when working near exposed electrical conductors

  • Safety signs, tags or barriers to warn and protect workers




Staying safe with Auto LPG

Like all fuels used for vehicles, there are important safety guides to remember with LPG.


Built in safety features

There are a number of built in safety features in LPG fuel tanks:

  • They’re manufactured to withstand the impact of an accident

  • The fuel supply is automatically shut off to the engine if the engine stops or the ignition is switched off.

  • The manual service valve at the tank allows the system to be easily and securely turned off

  • If a fire occurs, the fuel tank will safely vent its contents from the safety valve to avoid any over pressure situations


What to do if you drive off with the filler nozzle attached to your vehicle

The filler hose is designed to detach safely from the dispenser, through a breakaway coupling in the hose detaching and sealing. The coupling is located at either the top, or at the base of the dispenser. If you do drive off:

  • Check for leaks

  • Remove the hose nozzle from your vehicle

  • Place the nozzle in the holder on the dispenser

  • Check for damage to your vehicle

  • DO NOT attempt to reconnect the filler nozzle breakaway coupling

  • Move to a safe place off-site and call our emergency helpline 0800 574 737

  • Follow the recorded instructions to alert our contractors

  • If there is an immediate danger call 111 and ask for the Fire Service


What to do in an accident or fire

  • Turn off the manual service valve on the fuel tank in the boot, or under the rear of the vehicle if the tank is an under floor installation

    • Ensure there are no ignition sources near the vehicle

    • Look after your own safety. Call for emergency help immediately


What to do if a vehicle gas leak occurs

  • Turn off the vehicle's ignition

  • Turn off the manual service valve located on the fuel tank in the boot, or underneath the vehicle

  • Ensure there are no ignition sources near the vehicle

  • If the vehicle is indoors or in a poorly ventilated area, call the fire service immediately

  • If the leak is small and the vehicle is outdoors in a well ventilated area, call an LPG installer or motor mechanic immediately to attend to the leak

  • If in doubt call the fire service on 111


What to do if a site gas leak occurs

If you detect a strong smell of LPG:

  • Tell the service station staff straight away

If you are at an un-manned site remove yourself immediately but DO NOT move your vehicle. Call the emergency site helpline 0800 574 737 to report