The Clyde Dam on Lake Dunstan is the largest concrete gravity dam in New Zealand. There is a million cubic metres of concrete in the dam with another 200,000 cubic metres in the powerhouse. The power station is capable of producing 432 megawatts (MW) of power from its four turbine generator units. Click here to view the live webcam of Lake Dunstan.
The first of Roxburgh's eight generators was commissioned over 60 years ago in 1956. Roxburgh is a concrete gravity dam, and with the powerhouse, contains about half a million cubic metres of concrete, weighing 1.5 million tonnes. The lake formed by the dam covers an area of nearly six square kilometres. The power station has a capacity of 320MW.
Our new Te Mihi geothermal power station is part of Contact's dedication to providing New Zealander's energy needs in a safe, reliable and efficient manner. Te Mihi uses heat from deep inside the earth to generate electricity. Te Mihi power station has a 166 megawatt (MW) of generating capacity, enough to power over 160,000 Kiwi homes and is located on the Wairakei geothermal field, northwest of Taupo.
Commissioned in November 1958, the Wairakei power plant is situated on the Wairakei geothermal system. Wairakei, the first geothermal plant of its kind anywhere in the world, is an iconic symbol of New Zealand's electricity generation system. The Wairakei A and B stations have 10 steam turbines ranging in size from 4–30 megawatts (MW). The station's capacity is 132 MW.
The Ohaaki geothermal power station was commissioned in 1989. Production wells at Ohaaki are, on average, 1.2 km deep and reach water at temperatures up to 280°C. The most distinctive feature at Ohaaki is the 105 metre high cooling tower. Using natural convection, the tower cools the water used to condense the steam as it exits the power turbines.
The Poihipi Road power station was commissioned in 1997 and was bought by Contact in 2000. It is situated on the Wairakei geothermal system and is now operated as an integrated part of Wairakei steamfield. Poihipi has a capacity of 50 MW.
Commissioned in 2010, Te Huka geothermal power station delivers around 28 megawatts to the grid. At Te Huka power station, electricity is generated through a binary (organic rankine cycle) process. It is the first power station to be built on the Tauhara geothermal steamfield.
The Taranaki Combined Cycle Power Station (TCC) was commissioned in 1996 and is a large, efficient and modern plant, producing 377MW of electricity. The facility plays an important role in providing New Zealand with a secure supply of electricity, while enabling the country to increase the level of electricity generated from renewable sources. In 2011, Contact commissioned the Stratford Peakers next to TCC. The two fast-start gas turbine peaking units can go from a cold start to full load in just 10 minutes and generate up to 200 MW.
The Te Rapa power station was commissioned in 1999 and is a cogeneration facility providing high quality steam and electricity to Fonterra's Te Rapa factory, one of the world's largest milk powder drying plants. Surplus electricity is directed back to the local area. Te Rapa power station has a capacity of 44 MW.
The Whirinaki peaker plant is a 155MW, diesel fired peaker plant located at Whirinaki in Hawkes Bay. Approximately four million litres of diesel can be stored on site at Whirinaki, enabling the plant to operate at full capacity for 92 hours. The plant consists of three fast-start units and can reach generating capacity from a cold start in between 20-30 minutes.